Halloween is right around the corner and for most this can be an exciting time. With costumes, decorations, and candy there are many fun characteristics in one of America’s favorite Holidays. However, as a dog owner, you may be worried about additional Halloween related risks. Here are a few tips that will help keep your best friend safe during these holidays.
Save the candy for the trick-or-treaters, not Fido.
A crowd favorite, chocolate, especially dark chocolate, can be toxic for your dog. It will, sure enough, be one of the most popular treats this Halloween. Unfortunately, for pet owners, chocolate can be very dangerous. Chocolate contains methylxanthine theobromine, which is similar to caffeine, and if ingested, can lead to vomiting, heartbeat issues, diarrhea, and seizures. It some cases if high doses are eaten it can even cause death. Whether for Trick or Treating or normal consumption, all chocolates should be kept out of reach of your dog.
Other candy with high sugar content can also pose a serious health threat for your pet. A common artificial sweetener, xylitol, has been known to cause dangerous drops in blood sugar levels of canines. If ingested, your dog may display signs of disorientation, seizures, or blackened stool.
If you are concerned your pet has eaten something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center immediately.
Keeping your pets safe doesn’t have to be tricky. With a little common sense and a watchful eye, you and your pet can enjoy a great holiday.
Save the pumpkins.
While pumpkins and decorative corn are considered nontoxic, a lit jack-o-lantern can easily be knocked over by your pet and cause problems. Also, because it’s not a usual food for your pet, pumpkins and pumpkin seeds may cause your dog stomach discomfort if ingested.
Even though there may be nothing cuter than a dog in a funny Halloween costume, for some dogs, the discomfort of wearing a costume may cause extreme stress. If you do dress up your pet for Halloween, make sure they enjoy it and also check to make sure the costume isn’t cutting off your pet’s circulation or causing discomfort.
Pro Tip: Your dog will more than likely chew or swallow any dangling pieces hanging from his costume. So check for these hazards. Letting your pet try on his costume before Halloween night will definitely help to find any risks.
Halloween can bring a flurry of activity and new visitors to your door. To your dog, these are strangers. If you think your dog might have any trouble with this, it’s best to keep him in a separate room away from the craziness. Hopefully, your dog has been socialized well and Halloween will be just another day for him.
When possible always have your dog microchipped or at very least keep proper identification on your dog’s collar at all times, especially on Halloween. If for any reason your dog gets disoriented or darts outside during all the activity, this can be a lifesaver.
G1™ FAN KIT
share this story